30 November, 2007

2=1?!

Thomas Mann

I am taking this class called Goethe's Faust. Such a great class. Loving the professor. Goethe is just an amazing writer, totally wish I speak German, so I can read his original work. It is just so much better so read it in the original language instead of the translation ones. And Mann, totally worth reading. The polarities in his work, the ironic in his words, the way his analysis Faustian character. He is just so precise and elegant.

When I have thoughts about Adrian Leverkühn, who can I talk to? When I just so inspired by Mann's amazing words, who can I turn to? When I want to share this delicate art work, who can I go to?

2=1?!

Let S=ln2, then you can write S=1-1/2+1/3-1/4+.... And then you rearrange them, which we do since basic math classes, S=1-1/2-1/4+1/3-1/6-1/8+.... then, take 1/2 out, you get S=1/2(1-1/2+1/3-1/4+...) which you can also write it as S=1/2*S. since ln2>0, then S does not equals to 0, thus... 2=1.

Totally reasonable, but of course, 2 does not equals to 1. This is just an example of when the sequence is not absolute converging, you can not just rearrange them, or then outcome can be anything you want it to be.

When my mind got blowed away from all those fascinating math works, who am I going to talk to? When I'm stocking on math sense on things, who can I talk to? When I'm filled with the joy of having fun with math, who can I share with?

Tofu, Fish

I was out at a stunning party last night. I don't know any one before I walked in, but turned out well and able to chatted with several wonderful, amazing human beings. They sure live a life that I want to live in. We talked about all the fascinating cuisines, one of those will be this tofu that somehow made fish just shoot into it and die in there (apparently is from a Japanese restaurant in NYC.)

When I'm going a party that I know no one, who can I bring as a great company? When I want to try all those crazy cuisines, who will come with me? When I want to paint my life, who will add me in his painting?


One of my ex-roommates said, there is that someone for everyone. Even a girl like me? A girl is full of polarities? Is she just... too naive? Or am I too negative?

No comments:

Palying 4 Change